Do you know what the common signs and symptoms of bruxism are? Bruxism, also known as teeth grinding, is the condition of regularly grinding and gnashing your teeth, often while unconscious. One of the most common forms of bruxism, sleep bruxism, occurs while you are asleep and can easily go undiagnosed for long periods of time. If your smile ever feels different or “off” when you wake up, look for these signs and symptoms of bruxism:
– Ask a sleep partner or roommate if you clench your teeth loudly while you sleep.
– Your teeth might look flat or dull from bruxism damage, or even chipped and cracked with no explanation of how the damage got there.
– You experience jaw soreness and face pain when you wake up.
– Your teeth may be extra sensitive and sore to the touch.
– Bruxism can result in other conditions such as TMJ disorders.
– You experience headaches and earaches.
– Your tongue is indented and your cheek tissue shows signs of damage.
Make sure to take good care of your teeth so that they can last a lifetime. For more information about bruxism, or to schedule an oral exam with Dr. Nancy Urquiola and our team at Urquiola Dental Center PC, give us a call at 734-973-7450. Our dentist office is conveniently located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We look forward to hearing from you soon!