Is sugarless gum a proven tooth decay treatment option? According to many studies that have been done, chewing sugarless gum for roughly 20 minutes after eating can help keep your tooth enamel safe. The result is due to an increase in saliva production, which can wash away plaque buildup, neutralize harmful acids, and prevent cavities. Here are a few guidelines to remember when adding sugarless gum to your oral health care routine:
– Sugarless gum should be avoided if you experience any jaw pain or if you have a known TMJ condition.
– Never skip daily habits like brushing and flossing even if you are using supplemental cleaning procedures such as chewing sugarless gum or using mouthwash.
– Sugarless gum helps brush away chewy or sticky debris that has been left behind on your teeth and gums after eating.
– According to many studies, sugarless gum can help combat the effects of heartburn and its associated acidic stomach acids.
– Sugarless gum or even mouthwash should be used after eating instead of brushing your teeth because your teeth are sensitive at this time and can be damaged by abrasive forms of toothpaste.
If you are ready to take the next step to achieve a confident smile, set an appointment with Urquiola Dental Center PC and our dental office in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We can easily be reached at 734-973-7450. Dr. Nancy Urquiola and the rest of our team look forward to taking your smile into the future!